Reed Farnsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:04:12 +0000
This is all good information. Thanx!

The customer that brought this up pays more attention to some lists than others. In this case, the email went to a list he considers less important and didn't show up in the list he considers to be important.

We have one list that most customers look to as being more urgent than others. Maybe I'll try sending that one by itself, and all others in one batch. In that way, it may be that they'll get two, with at least one being the one they pay more attention to.

Thanx again for all your great feedback!

Reed

---
REED J. FARNSWORTH | Knowledge Base Analyst | SirsiDynix
P: 800.288.8020 ext. 5483 | F: 801.223.5202 | [log in to unmask]
www.sirsidynix.com
Join the conversation: Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Valdis Kletnieks
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: De-duping between lists

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:58:56 -0000, Reed Farnsworth said:

> Is there some sort of de-dupe process that recognizes when a recipient
> is on multiple lists and only sends them the notice on one of them? If
> so, is there a way to control it, like give lists preferences, or turn it off?

Usually done by the recipient's mail system, by only accepting the first copy of a mail with a given Message-ID: header

> Is this because I included all of the lists in the TO: field?

Indirectly, because it left your MUA as one message, and as a result all 4 lists got copies with the same Message-ID.

> If I send a separate email to each list with only one list in the TO:
> field, would that help them all get through?

Umm.. they most probably *did* get through.  Or did you *want* a recipient who's on 4 lists to get 4 duplicate copies?  That tends to make for cranky humans.  Is there an actual use case where not suppressing duplicates is in fact a good idea?

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: