Stanley Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:15:29 -0400
Hello fellow Listserv postmasters:

Has anyone had any success in running Listserv 1.8d on a Unix box with
qmail involved as the mail transport agent instead of sendmail?  We run
Listserv on a separate system and since installing qmail late yesterday
afternoon, commands that are e-mailed to listserv simply come into the
listserv account as e-mail, but they never get executed. On the other
hand, messages that are sent to actual lists for distribution are handled
properly and in very short order.

I have read through quite a bit of documentation and have seen no solution
to this problem. Listserv's site maintainer's documentation refers only to
installing Listserv for use with sendmail (which is what we were running)
and not a word is said about using Listserv with MTAs other than sendmail.

Some of the things that I tried include searching through every log file
on the system, setting up a .qmail file in listserv's home directory to
redirect mail to lsv_amin, moving links to the incoming mail spool file
around within listserv's file system, and so on. Nothing seems to work.

A message about this problem that I sent to the qmail list has not yielded
any useful solutions.  If anyone knows how to get Listserv to recognize
incoming messages via qmail as commands, please let me know. I would like
to use qmail, but if this problem cannot be rectified, it looks like we
will be stuck with sendmail.