John Cady <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 May 1996 00:44:12 -0400
Greetings!

I am looking to develop a mailing list devoted to the creation of comedy.
Unlike other comedy-related mailing lists I've found, this list would not
invite actual pieces of comedy but rather would focus on discussion of
two areas (probably via a single-topic-at-a-time format):

1) the philosophy of humor: the role of rhythm in comedy, can topicality
break out of the formulaic mode, how do comedy trends reflect social
times and are they cyclical, etc.

2) the practical issues surrounding the creation of comedy:
the schedule of writing a nightly monologue, the collaborative process
vs. solo writing, the effects of organizational politics on the quality
of comedy writing efforts, writing for standup vs. print vs. movies vs.
sitcoms vs. talk shows

Due to the need to maintain privacy for certain of our writers, I would
probably want to run a moderated list. I would also need the option of a
daily digest. I believe these two options are standard LISTSERV features.

I wouldn't need much in the way of coaching; I currently listown two
education-related lists hosted by the great and benevolent Marty Hoag
(thank you, Marty!). However, his site is limited to education lists,
and so I need to find another host for this list.

If you can help me out, I (and hopefully many professional and amateur
comedy writers) would be grateful.

John Cady                              Information Technology Division
ITDweb Project Leader                       The University of Michigan
Info Tech Digest Associate Editor         535 W. William St, Ann Arbor
Marketing Representative                                (313) 763-8193