Ted Manos <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Apr 1991 21:47:54 CST
On Mon, 8 Apr 91 16:38:19 EST Stan Horwitz said:
>  I am listserv postmaster here at Templevm, but I an not the NAD. The person
>who is the NAD just updated the copy of BITEARN NODES on the Bitnet disk as
>well as some other files on our mailer which Listserv reads.  I logged onto
>Listserv and rebooted it, but a filelist of the Bitnet and Mailer minidisks
>still shows the old files. Am I missing a step or shouldn't the filelist on
>listserv indicate the availability of later files. I seem to remember there's
>a command to update the files that I need to use, but I don't recall what it
>is and not being a NAD, I don't have the documentation either.

The key here is - is your Bitnet disk, and/or the Mailer disk, the ONLY
place where the BITEARN NODES file resides, or do multiple copies of it
exist on other disks?  It sounds kind of like there is an OLD copy of
BITEARN NODES somewhere in the search chain that LISTSERV is finding
before it gets to the latest version.  If so, then either delete it, or
refresh it with a current copy.  Then, when you cold start LISTSERV, he
should find the new copy, detect that it is more current than what he
had before, and automagically regenerate and update all of the corres-
ponding files.  If you log on as LISTSERV, then stay on when you re-ipl
it, you will be able to see this process taking place.  If it doesn't,
then something else must be screwed up.

>  One more question while I am at it, is there a list of files which need
>periodic updating in order for listserv to function properly?

The CONTROL FILELIST lists all of the files that LISTSERV needs to normally
update to function properly.  One or two of them are (or should be, if
LISTSERV was installed properly) maintained by Eric, and will be auto-
matically replaced by him as needed.  The rest are automagically regener-
ated by LISTSERV itself, as needed.  The only one you should need to worry
about is BITEARN NODES.

>  I would ask my NAD, but he left for the day and I was hoping to have this
>done before tomorrow.

Well, now you should at least have a fair crack at it (if my reply reaches
you before you go home...).  If you still have any problems, I should be
around here for a few more hours (since I'm doing this from home... :-) ).

>Stan Horwitz
>Listserv Postmaster
>Temple University
>Acknowledge to: OASIS@TEMPLEVM (or VM.TEMPLE.EDU)

-Ted
Ted Manos   NAD/TechRep/InfoRep   BITNET  : TMANOS@HARPERVM
Systems & Networking Consultant   Internet: [log in to unmask]
Harper Community College          UUCP net: !uunet!harpervm.bitnet!tmanos
Palatine, IL  60067-7398          VoiceNet: (708) 980-7919 (Alpha Omega)