Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT@TREARN>
Fri, 24 Nov 89 10:25:08 TUR
On Tue, 21 Nov 89 17:43:59 EDT Alain Auroux said:
>I really think we should promote LISTEARN agressively.
>Are you in a position to send development plans of LISTEARN on this list, and
>to start any other action to improve the visibility of LISTEARN?

I started doing some 'agressive' improvements on listearn.
for example, the other day I corrected the 'long path line' bug, which
caused the server to hang with headers that were longer than 80 chars.
Yesterday, I put in changes to LSVDIST2 (distribute) so that the local
mail will be handled by the mailer, in one copy, instead of one-copy-per-
recipient.. I threw the changes I made to the listtech list, and I am
waiting for feedback from people, maybe I over-simplified the operation.

>I plan to address the problem during the next EXEC, but to do that, I need
>an action plan: any idea?

well, I am better at coding then talking :)

>May be you can widely advertise the NOG decision (saying that it is
>a technical decision, not a political one) on all LISTXXX lists, and to give
>more information on the LISTEARN developmment, to give confidence to LISTSERV
>users, and incite them to move to LISTEARN.

I think we need time..

>Part of the problem is that:
>1. They know Eric well, but they don't yet know you xell enough.
>2. Eric is moving ahead with new versions, beta test sites, etc...
>   I think you should a bit formalize your work, call LISTSERV 1.5o
>   LISTEARN 1.0 and announce/distribute new versions more formally.

sounds fine. I am just waiting for this DIST business.. It works
well here, but I am not sure that it will work all the time.

Regards, -turgut