"F. Scott Ophof" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Jul 1993 17:14:37 -0400
On Fri, 16 Jul 93 13:20:14 EDT Ravin Asar said:
>Keeping both around is necessary, so that all users can be told to
>send list-related administrivia to "listname-request", and people
>concerned with communicating with the actual owner of the list (like
>postmasters, system administrators, etc. can send to "owner-listname".
>This allows one to alias *all* "listname-request" to an MLM, if
>necessary, and yet keep each "owner-listname" pointing to the owner(s)
>of the lists.

OK, now what about "listname-OWNER", which is also in use?
Does that imply the same as "owner-listname"?
If so, would it be better to drop one, or to ADD "request-listname"
so that users won't need to remember whether "listname" comes first
or not, but only "listname" and the two words "request" (for list-
related administrivia) and "owner" (the HUMAN)?

>In pratice, MLM's might play with headers and do something like:
>  From: [log in to unmask]

Looks nice, but as to the issue of the person reading an item with
these headers, it doesn't "guarantee" for even a minute that this
item was posted on "[log in to unmask]", nor that if posted,
it was posted as-is.  Because a person sending this item to someone
else might've put that listname there.
Not only that, there are enough mailing lists out there which allow
the user to use the "Reply-To:" to refer replies back to themselves
instead of the mailing list.  In fact, some mailing lists are set up
so that the poster's address is ALWAYS put in the "Reply-To:" field.
So as identification of the mailing list ITSELF, we're still up the
creek without a paddle.

Another point of inconsistency is people who do the following: