Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Mon, 11 May 1987 20:44 SET
  With a normal list,

- Up to  5 recipients are  grouped in the 'To:'  field when sending  to remote
  nodes, in  the hope that this  node has a MAILER  and only one file  will be
  sent.

- Only 1 recipient  appears in the 'To:'  field if the recipient  is the local
  node or one of the "local nodes"  as defined in LSV$PROF (eg nodes connected
  via an  internal BSC connection that  doesn't cost anything and  is not much
  used).

  With a DISTRIBUTE MAIL job, only one recipient is placed in the 'To:' field.
I decided this because I kept getting  complaints from people who said that it
was confusing to see only 5 of the local recipients in the 'To:' field, better
put all of them or none at all.  'all of them' is not feasible, especially for
local lists.  The server sending  the mailfile to you  is supposed to  be much
nearer in the case of DISTRIBUTE than with  a normal peer, so I thought it was
a good opportunity to get rid of the complaints at once.

  About PEERS  NAMES: please don't  waste your time trying  to get it  from my
server or asking me to send it. I don't have time to reply individually to all
the  requests I  got, but  I am  not  going to  send it  to individual  nodes,
regardless of how sincere and faithful they  might be to LISTSERV (amen :-) ),
etc. Either all the backbone must be  updated, or no server at all. Updating a
server here and there  can only bring disorder and very  little benefit to new
sites which will become known only to a few individual nodes. I have therefore
changed the  GET FAC  of PEERS  NAMES to LMC  on my  server. I  am considering
sending an updated version to all the  sites who have signed up as a backbone,
along with the latest LINKSWT FILE, but that's another story.

Cheers, Eric