Tam Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:48:04 -0700
Valdis Kletnieks wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:58:56 PDT, Tam Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> > Can listserv be chrooted?  I need to implement it if possible.  I can't seem to
> > find any information on this topic from this archive.
>
> It should be implementable in theory.  The biggest gotcha will be that
> you need to build lsv_amin with a spool dir of /chroot/home/listserv/spool
> but have lsv run with a spool dir of /home/listserv/spool.  You'll have
> to play similar games with the web interface if you use it.
>
> One big headache will be that you need a /bin/sh in the chroot environment
> to run ~listserv/go.  Also, look carefully at the 'go' script to make
> sure you have all the other binaries it might need.  And don;t forget
> the libc and other shared libs you might need. ;)
>
> Note that I haven't tried it. ;)

Yes, listserv works in chroot environment.  Thanks to Valdis for your
encouraging words "implementable in theory".

The one problem I ran into was when I went into chroot and tried to start
listserv:

host# chroot /chroot-dir /bin/sh
# go

In "go" script, it tried to "su listserv -c ./go" (as I was running as root in
chroot), that's when it failed because it could not su to listserv.  The work
around it is to use "chrootuid":

host# chrootuid /chroot-dir listserv /bin/sh
$ go

And of course, you have to set up your chroot environment correctly.

Tam