Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:44:22 -0400
Alex,

Alexander J. Willman wrote:

> Dan:
>
> I sincerely appreciate your assistance.  Thank you.

Let's see if we can go further.

> The error report that you quoted has a "Delivery error report from"
> Subject line, but the one that I quoted has an "Undelivered mail"
> Subject line.  The "Delivery error report from" messages that I can find
> at the moment contain consistent MIME boundaries, so the "Undelivered
> mail" DSNs appear to be generated differently.

Exactly. I really don't understand this. Ben Parker (who I've always
found to be *very helpful*) has verified that we are running the same
build of listserv 14.3. Our system has a slightly later version of
Solaris (5.9 vs 5.8) but I can't imagine that this makes a difference.

The precipitating event in your case was a user who tried to replace an
existing password. When LISTSERV sent the confirmation request, the
user's email system responded "user unknown." LISTSERV then notified you
with a message with "Undelivered mail" in the subject line.

I did something that I expected to produce exactly the same results, but
in my case the user was creating a new LISTSERV password. LISTSERV sent
the confirmation request and the user's email system responded "user
unknown." LISTSERV then notified me with a message with "Delivery error
report from" in the subject line. The MIME boundaries in this message
were correct.

I think the key issue is this (from your message that arrived while I
was composing mine):

 > Perhaps LISTSERV generates each type of message differently.  Under
 > what circumstances does LISTSERV generate each type of message?

I could repeat your test more exactly, but it would be a bit of work to
create a working password and then have the address go bad so that the
replace failed. It would be easier for you to repeat my test - try to
register a password for someone with a non-working email address.

Under these circumstances, I would be tempted to upgrade to 14.4. This
seems like it is due to some minor glitch in the code which appears
under very specific circumstances. Even if this does not fix the
problem, you will probably get a much better response from L-Soft if you
are demonstrating problems with their current release.

                                     Peace,  Dan

=>  Daniel D. Wheeler - Education & Psychology, Univ. of Cincinnati
==>  Email: [log in to unmask]      URL: http://wheeler.uc.edu
===>  Teaching Human Rights Online: http://oz.uc.edu/thro
====>  KIDLINK: http://www.kidlink.org