David_A Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:32:27 PDT
>From:         "Paul Wayper (DPI ISD)"
>Subject:      Re: Cannot open binary files
>I think it might be something to do with LISTSERV not recognising or
>skipping part of the header of binary files.  I haven't done any tests
>confirm this hypothesis, though - shame on me.

My information is probably as out-of-date as I am myself.  However,
LISTSERV deals with e-mail, and e-mail eventually has to satisfy the
least capable model: SMTP.  Therefore, it needs to be ASCII-8 PRINTABLE
chars
with lines less than or equal 80 char.  Anything else MIGHT get
gaffed up by one of the channels that carry it.

Now this is very different from the Web, where a browser and a server
open up a real channel and can negotiate a means of transmitting
nearly anything.

In days of yore, the UNIX community solved this problem with a tool
called 'uuencode'.  You can get one free somewhere.  That turns any
binary into 80-byte printable lines that you can mail and that a
recipient can reconvert.

Alternatively, and more up to date, find someone to serve your
binary out to HTTP and mail the list a reference to it.