Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:12:50 -0400
On 30 Apr 2007 at 15:12, Jesus Alonso Rivas y Rivas wrote:

> Is there any option where I can see a sort of log file but more
> detailed? Basically I need to monitor each e-mailing process as knowing
> when the delivery occurs (timing issues) between listser a nd the smtp
> and if is there some kind of spooling period and things like that.

The log for the pass-off to the SMTP server is called SMTPS#x-yyyymmdd.LOG (on
Windows), where x is the number of the SMTP worker and yyyymmdd is the date. It
is not very detailed, however: it only reports errors.

You can enable SMTP debugging to log the conversation with the MTA with
SMTP_DEBUG = 1

However, I don't think that will help you much for speeding things up (it will
slow them down actually).

> Actually Listserv delivers two thousand messages to the smtp every 15
> minutes (unless that tells me our smtp). How can I increase the amount
> of messages delivered per minute or per hour?
>
> The actual configuration is:
>
> MAXBSMTP = 1
>
> but if I increase that value, our smtp continues receiving 2 thousand
> mail every 15 min

What are the characteristics of your typical messages? Are they mail-merge or
bulk list mail? What are their average and max sizes? How many recipients per
mailing?

How many SMTP workers do you have defined? You should start with 10 and work up
or down from there. I.e.

SMTP_FORWARD_1=10*YOUR.MTA.HOST

so that there are 10 processes sending mail in parallel to your MTA.

Also, what MTA are you using? LISTSERV's SMTP Workers cannot send mail any
faster than the receiving host can receive them. So if your MTA is
underpowered, that's what you need to work on. (With HDMail, we had to add some
parameters to *slow down* LISTSERV so that it would throttle delivery to our
MTA because HDMail was delivering mail so fast that it was using up all our
bandwidth!)

Depending on where the slowdown is happening, you may also want to look into
LISTSERV distribute workers.

The white paper on using IIS SMTP for LISTSERV deliveries has some "LISTSERV
Tuning" guidelines which may be useful regardless of the MTA:

http://www.lsoft.com/resources/wp-iis-smtp.pdf

--
Francoise Becker

There is only one LISTSERV(R) -- the product that launched the
email list communication industry in 1986. To discover the
story behind LISTSERV, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/20anniversary.asp