"Good, Donald" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:39:50 -0500
You have 2 choices:
1. Since you will be "stomping on toes" to put in this
restriction/"punishment" anyway, you could just unsubscribe the
non-contributers.
2. Create a second dummy contributors list.  Copy the contirbutors to this
list, but leave them on the basic list too.  The basic list still has the
archives and will still get all the postings.  Then instead of
Notebook= ...Private, use
Notebook= ...(contrib-list)

-----Original Message-----
From: Amy Stinson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 7:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Search Function

On 22 Apr 2001, at 21:53, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:08:54 CDT, Amy Stinson <[log in to unmask]>
said:
> > web.  On the other hand, I REALLY don't want to disable the archives
> > for the main lists, I just want to keep certain subscribers from
> > searching those archives. Question:  Can I use a list exit for this
>
> OK.. I'll bite.  What problem are you trying to solve here?  Note that
> if they're subscribers, they've *seen* the postings already (unless
they're

This is not a "social" problem.  I have 6 years of archives.  I run
my LISTSERV on a voluntary contribution basis.  Many of my
subscribers WANT searchable archives, unfortunately only SOME of them
are willing to contribute.  So I want to make the search function
available to only those that contribute.  I don't mind if they
manually go through the  archives.  In fact, many of them are
nomail/web based readers.  What I don't want them to do is be able to
search them unless they are contributors.  I can alter the web
template and remove the search link, but stopping them through email
will be more difficult.

Will I be able to do a "list exit"?

--
Amy Stinson, MCP