Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Sep 1992 17:21:46 +0200
A lot  of relatively minor  problems have  been discovered with  1.7d and
subsequently fixed; people who reported them  got a fix directly from me,
but I did not  issue formal 17D-xxxx fix shipments for  them as there are
simply too  many. All  these problems  are corrected by  a change  to the
large (350k) LSWPLIB  MODULE, which it is not possible  to service in the
same way as the REXX code:

1. Because it  is a single file,  sites which do not use  source code for
   maintaining LISTSERV  cannot choose  which of the  fixes they  want to
   apply and which they want to ignore.  If I were to distribute a MODULE
   with fixes for only  problem 1 and one with fixes  for only problem 2,
   there would  be no way  to have both problems  fixed at the  same time
   without building your own customized MODULE from the source code. With
   just two fixes I could make a third MODULE available, but with a dozen
   fixes this is simply not possible.

2. Each fix is  a 350k replacement MODULE file, since  there is no decent
   patching system for VM. In addition to the network traffic, it means a
   lot of your disk space is wasted, since the fix installation procedure
   keeps a copy of the old MODULE (for obvious reasons).

Because  of this  I  just include  all  minor fixes  into  the major  fix
shipments I  generate. When doing that,  I respect the rule  that regular
fix shipments must  never be updated unless a *really*  severe problem is
discovered (like  a security exposure).  This means fix number  001o will
not contain  minor fixes  discovered after  it was  issued, but  the next
major fix  will have them.  If you install  the latest fix  that replaces
LSWPLIB MODULE, you will have all the  minor fixes written up to then. It
may seem  unsatisfactory from  the philosophical point  of view,  but the
only way to  get finer granularity is by  using source-based maintenance,
which most of you don't have time for.

As far as 1.7d is concerned, all the minor problems reported on the list,
except the  incorrect header line for  AFD of F=MAIL files,  are fixed by
17D-002D rev 2 (the one which adds  support for F=VMSDUMP - this is NOT a
new revision,  there is  no need  to re-install anything  if you  have it
on!). This fix  has been running on many servers  without problem so far,
so it is safer to install it than a "custom fix" I might prepare just for
you and which never ran anywhere.

  Eric