Hans-Ulrich Giese <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Apr 1993 20:42:51 CET
On Fri, 16 Apr 1993 13:39:16 EDT Duane D. Weaver said:
>On Thu, 15 Apr 1993 16:46:06 EDT Greg Kroll said:
>>Lots of sites charge for disk space used by their lists.
>By what information is that based upon?  Did you do a survey?
>
>I would be really surprised if very many sites did charge for disk space
>or whatever in connection with LISTSERV.

hold on pls !
if we are continuing with this discussion long enough, i'm sure that some
sites will take it as a very good idea and start sending out bills for the
usage of listserv (after this for mail and and and).
some months ago i have had a talk to our national networking (i.e. SURFnet)
here in holland and they also proposed to send out bills for the usage
of listserv lists.
it took me some time to convince them, that this is infact a very bad idea
as seen from a global point of view. we (at least HEARN) are an EARN-backbone
system and simply have to provide service to the whole community *free of
charge* for several reasons, like :
   - we are in a cooperating network, where it is expected that everyone
     is taking at least 'some' share and responsibilities.
   - if we would ask our list-owners for money, i'm sure that within
     short time we also will see a sword above us.

have a nice weekend
-ulrich-