Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 24 Jan 1987 22:48 SET
  Out of  the 41 people  that answered  the survey, 10  said they did  not have
SCRIPT/VS, and  I'm inclined  to think that  at least 2  of them  have Waterloo
SCRIPT but  had erased  the exec  and did not  re-run it  when I  said Waterloo
script was ok  too. Sorry about this  confusion, I just did not  even know that
there WAS a Waterloo script :-)

  8 people said  they do  have SCRIPT but  would prefer the  docs to  remain in
plain format --  it is funny to see  that these people are mostly  of the "real
programmer" category,  if I may  draw the old  sword of the  "real programmers"
versus "quiche  eaters" croisade ;-)  That leaves us  with more than  20 people
who would  prefer SCRIPT/VS  output. Here  are their  answers to  the following
questions, expressed as  a percentage of the nodes which  have SCRIPT and would
prefer SCRIPT docs:

 'Do  you  have  a  page  printer  (3820,  3800-3,  3812,  et  al)  available?'
78% yes,  other  answers  from  people  who only  a  XEROX-like  printer  which
can't  be  considered  as  compatible   with  the  IBM  page-printer  standard.

 'Do you have any local mods to the SCRIPT GML Starter Set?'
34% yes --  funny, I'd have  thought it would be  less, but of  course "vanilla
IBM code is not fun" as Jeff says :-)

    'Do  you  think these  mods  could  severely  impair  the formatting  of  a
0% yes -- people trust their mods :-)

 '  1. Would  you  take   opportunity  on  this  to  reformat   them  to  your'
 '     institution''s   document    printout   conventions,   eg    by   using'
 '     modified  GML  APAs,   or  to  add  your  own  local   addenda  to  the'
 '     documents (using .IM for instance), etc?'
60% yes  -- SCRIPT  really makes  it  much easier  to  add you  own preface  or
appendix

 '  2. Would  you  distribute  copies  of  the  manuals  to  members  of  your'
 '     user community?'
91% yes

    'How many copies (per document), very approximately?'
--> flame  <--- How  can my  stats mangler  process answers  like "???",  "20?"
    or  "10-20"?  Next  time  I'll  add  an  "IFY2012R  FORMAT  USED  FOR  THIS
    INPUT  IS 'I4'"  :-)  Anyway it  was  between 10  and  150, usually  around
    20-30 but  a  lot  of  replies  mentioned  people  being  able  to  request
    their  own copy  be  printed thanks  to  an online  ->  printout server  or
    suchlike, so it really doesn't mean much.

    'To which category of people (any 80-chars string)?'
    mostly  system  staff   and  consultants,  plus  of   course  list  owners.

 '  3. Do you think this would significantly help your users'
 '     understand how to use LISTSERV?'
86% yes -- my, people don't like reading info from a CRT!!!

 '  4. Do  you   think  this  would   make  LISTSERV  more  popular   at  your'
 '     institution?'
82% yes

 'On  the  overall,  how  would  you  rate  the  migration  to  SCRIPT/GML  on'
 'the basis of the particular needs of your institution?'

 '  1. Rather undesirable'
 '  2. Neither desirable nor undesirable'
 '  3. Desirable, but should not be a primary concern'
 '  4. Very desirable'
Everybody answered 3 except 2 persons.

  In light  of these  replies I  have decided to  start migrating  the LISTSERV
docs  to SCRIPT  format. The  docs will  be available  both in  SCRIPT 'source'
format  and  in  pre-formatted  form   (as  per  a  SCRIPT  (DEV(2741)  FILE)).

Pros:

  - All that was said in the survey
  - Makes it  easier for  me to make  changes to the  docs. You  probably don't
    realize it, but  UPDATING the docs takes  an awful lot of time,  50% of the
    time  needed  to completely  rewrite  all  the updated  sections.  Whenever
    something is  no longer applicable,  I must remove  a few sentences  from a
    paragraph and here you are, justification is
    completely broken like that and
                                                            I  must  completely
    reformat the paragraph, same thing when I  want to add a sentence. I end up
    adding sentences AFTER  the paragraph to save  time but it makes  the doc a
    little messy. :-)
  - I'm  really missing  an index  at the  end  of the  docs. I'm  used to  the
    "polys"  distributed by  our school  (500 pages  of endless  blahblah about
    some 10-hours  of courses; you MUST  purchase these books from  the school,
    otherwise you're automatically fired, but  as a compensation they allow you
    to  use the  Official Books  from the  School at  some exams).  These books
    NEVER have an index  and it's a real pain to find  something in them during
    an  exam.  One   of  the  best  features  of  SCRIPT   is  its  ability  to
    automatically create  an index  and a TOC  and it will  help people  a lot.
  - It will  be possible to  make HELPCMS files out  of the SCRIPT  sources. At
    least, I  saw an  IBM doc that  suggested to use  SCRIPT to  create HELPCMS
    files so it is probably possible,  otherwise they would not document it :-)
  - It will be  able to prepare decent  handouts out of the doc  sources, to be
    distributed to (various categories of  people who can't read matrix-printer
    printout and won't open  the doc if there is not  a nice-looking drawing on
    the front page :-) ) at meetings.

Cons:

  - Plain  files are  more comfortable  to read  at a  terminal than  SCRIPT/VS
    output  which contains  page  numbers,  page skips  (-->  blank lines)  and
    suchlike. This  will look complicated to  the average end user.  It's not a
    major problem though.
  - These files  will be larger than  plain files, because of  the blank lines,
    title pages,  TOC, etc (but  I believe  this can be  solved with a  few .if
    &$PDEV = 2741 .go ...)
  - Compatibility problems between IBM and Waterloo script.
  - More space wasted  on the LISTSERV disk since both  source and object files
    will be needed.

  Well, I intend  to migrate to SCRIPT  format slowly. I'll start  with the new
docs I still  have to write (ie  I won't start plain-format docs  any more) and
will then  slowly proceed to  convert the existing  docs when I  have important
changes  to  make to  a  doc  which would  anyway  require  a long  time.  Docs
converted  to SCRIPT  format  will no  longer  be available  in  the old  plain
format and will  be replaced by their corresponding 2741  output. Although most
of  the existing  files will  only be  a subset  of the  future manuals  (eg an
appendix  or  a  chapter),  they  will  still  be  available  individually  for
efficiency reasons.

  Distribution for the  SCRIPT source files will be as  a separate shipment, so
that nodes  which don't have  SCRIPT can opt not  to receive the  SCRIPT source
files  (--> disk  space savings).  However, major  hub nodes  which don't  have
SCRIPT are encouraged  to provide the files  if they have enough  disk space so
that  people don't  have  to go  in  the  boonies to  order  the source  files.

  Finally, I need  to find a volunteer  using Waterloo script to  find out what
the major  incompatibility problems  may be  so that I  don't start  docs using
options that Waterloo script  can't handle (for example I like  using .DC GML <
< - and .DC MCS  > so that GML  tags become 'This is an  <hp1> hilighted <-hp1>
word' --  I don't  like :hp1.xxx). The  nearer this person  is to  FRECP11, the
better, of course.

  Eric