Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:20:34 -0400
On Oct 20, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Wauford, Melissa wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2011, at 9:13 AM, Jacob Haller wrote:

>>> Hmm. I'm pretty sure this wasn't a mail merge. I don't think we ever turned on embedded mail merge (although perhaps it's on by default), and the list definitely doesn't have a mail-merge keyword. The log shows a standard mail message being processed. The only difference in the message files (I did a diff) was the "to" line (or whatever it is in pure SMTP). They looked like:
>>>
>>> owner-listname*person**1SMARKETING*[log in to unmask]
>>>
>>> Which is why I assumed the problem might be with the auto-probe setting.
>
>> OK, that makes sense.  What is the mailing list's configuration?
>
> Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(3),Max(10),Probe(1)
[…]
> Since the list is used maybe four times a year, the delay and max settings are obviously insane ( I didn't set up the list). I'm guessing that if the probe setting is really what's causing the individual messages in the spool, I probably need to bump up the value in the probe setting to at least 4. But maybe I just need to remove the auto-delete keyword and let the list owner deal with the bounces.

Yes, Probe(1) means every subscriber is probed every day there's a mailing, so that's why you saw what you saw.  For a list that is posted to so infrequently I would probably just remove subscribers on the first bounce, and use "Delay(1),Max(0)".  Regarding what Probe() number makes sense, Probe(4) would mean 1/4 of the subscribers would be probed, which is fine if you have the resources, but if it's a large list I might use something like Probe(10) or Probe(20) to probe 1/10 or 1/20 of the subscribers each mailing.  It'll take longer to get rid of some of the bad addresses, but it won't be as likely to kill the server whenever there's a big mailing.

Anyway, my two cents' worth!

Thanks,
jwgh