Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 08:04:43 -0400
At 05:45 8/8/97 GMT, you wrote:
|On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 01:12:39 -0400, Jeffrey Boulier
|<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
|
|>        Does anyone know if the kindly (and no doubt overworked) people at
|>L-SOFT are planning on setting up some LISTSERV <-> USENET gateway to
|>replace American's old gateway, whose hinges seem to have rusted away?

As I recall, the American list-2-news-2-list gateway was built upon NETNEWS
software for VM.  AFAICT there is nothing magical about the American site,
_other_ than the human beings who dedicated themselves to this service.
There are many LOCAL NETNEWS gateways e.g., a campus NETNEWS system will
subscribe/gate to a LISTSERV(R) list and only distribute to that campus.
You can check if this is happening on YOUR lists by issuing the command

Q listname FOR NETNEWS@*

and looking for non-*AMERICAN.EDU hosts in the output.
--
mailto:[log in to unmask]          Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg;  University Park,  PA   16802-1202 USA