Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 May 90 13:24:21 O
>Some of the files  sent from a list (CHINA-ND) at  our node is producing
>bad Reply-To: field which is impossible  for the receiver to reply to. I
>have included the header as follows:
>
>(text deleted)
>
>For  some  reason, Berkeley.EDU  is  appended  to  the sender  which  is
>[log in to unmask] The  receiver said he gets  this kind of header  from a
>few other lists he  is subscribed to, also. He could  however reply to a
>mail that I sent him with the same address.
>
>Could anyone tell me what we can do to fix this?

I just got hit  by the same problem on my  own LISTSERV (swedish internet
people complained  that they could not  reply to one of  the swedish EARN
coordination lists).  After a good deal  of checking, it turned  out that
the problem is nothing more than a serious oversight on my part, possibly
caused by all the frenzy associated  with my move from CERN to Stockholm.
I *had* indeed  written a fix for  this, which *does* work,  but for some
reason it did not go in the version of 1.6d that got distributed. Since I
could not reproduce the problem on my test server (which had the fix on),
and  since the  production server  at LEPICS  is 1.5o  and was  therefore
*supposed* to  have the  problem, I  spent a lot  of time  wondering what
might be going on at Berkeley.

I have sent the  fix (LSVXMAIL EXEC) to Christine, and  I will be setting
something up shortly to allow LISTSERV maintainers to obtain that kind of
fixes from my  server; I got something like 120  requests for the "fixed"
LSVCARDR, and I certainly don't want this to happen again every time :-)

  Eric