Phil Howard <PHIL@UIUCVMD>
Wed, 13 Jan 88 12:04:34 CST
> From:         Hank Nussbacher <HANK@BARILVM>
> I am beginning to understand why Internet users are upset with Listserv.
> I signed up to a list in Listserv with the following address:

> Note the uppercase.  When I tried to post to the list with the address:

> I can imagine the frustration level of Internet users.

SOME internet users are frustrated ONE WAY, and others are the other way.

The REAL frustration is for those if us who are IN BETWEEN.  Until some
standard is established, you just can't always do it right.

So, how do you tell if:
are the same or different?  Can you code this test in REXX or C in less than
1000 lines?  I can't.

As long as UNIX systems insist on having different actual users that
differ only by CASE, and the INTERNET protocol designers don't put their
foot down to stomp out this practice, then that is the way it is.  On
the other hand, I certainly question software that determines the case
it will use based on the phase of the moon.

There is one thing that is worse: VAXclusters that appear to be ONE node
sometimes, and separate nodes at other times.