Donald Good <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:51:03 -0600
>>> Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]> 01/21 9:38 AM >>> wrote
>On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:19:48 -0500, Sandy Dobbs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>I read the documentation on ALIASES in Section 5.10. This sounds like it
>>only works on the Internet host name part of the address. In my case, the
>>user's name also changes, ie from [log in to unmask] to [log in to unmask]
>>So - am I back to globally changing the address thru Explorer (and will
>>that corrupt any of the addresses)? Thanks.

>What do you mean 'thru Explorer'?  If you are contemplating direct editing of
>the *.LIST files you should know that that is unsupported, and since they are
>binary files you will very likely corrupt the files and destroy your list(s).
>this is NOT a good thing.

>IF you are running LISTSERV 1.8d you can use the CHANGE command.

> CHANGE *  old@address  new@address

If you mean Internet Explorer (or any web browser) and you have the Web
interface, then that is OK.  But you might consider sending GET listname to the
command address thru email to get the list header and subscribers.  Then you
can use a PLAIN TEXT editor to search and replace (e.g. change @some.com
to @someother.com).  Then PUT the list back to the command address (the PUT
command is already the first line of text, but enter the password).

Do not use a word processing editor (e.g. MS Word) or the list WILL become
corrupted.  Or if you must use a wp editor to get search and replace, make sure
that the wp editor has the function to Save As Text and that you use that function
to save the changes.  Also, make sure that the margins are wide enough before
you start changing so that no word wrapping takes place.  MS Word and
Windows WordPad have these functions.  Failure to take these precautions
WILL corrupt the list.