Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Nov 1993 15:08:19 +0100
On Tue,  16 Nov  1993 00:23:05  PST Keith  Trimmer <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>(Actually, I can't swear  to that - someone else would  have to verify -
>it may  depend upon retrieval  attempts which cause listserv  to rebuild
>the index - but on the one list I 'own' the problems with retrieval have
>never continued past the first day,  after which the database and 'index
>messages' were back in sync.)

Updating the  logs with a PUT  command rebuilds the index  right away (or
schedules  it for  rebuild the  next  time it  is needed,  with the  same
effect). So in principle new indexes  are not affected, however the index
sent the day before (ie before the  logs were edited) will no longer have
the correct numbers, and since it's already out there is nothing that can
be done about it. The only  working solution is to have permanent numbers
for the messages.

If the LISTSERV manager updates the logs directly with XEDIT and does not
refresh the index, you get a big  mess and all sorts of incorrect numbers
can be reported until the index is refreshed.

  Eric