Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 07:57:19 -0700
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:38:28 -0800, Ken Pauley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I was running the free lite version of the list on NT and just received my
>LAK for the 1.8d classic version.  I went ahead and ran the setup and
>everything seemed to work fine.  However, the version seems to be all off.
>When I run the lsv start program I can see that it is merging in the new
>license fine, but the release command shows something different.  I have
>things running now, but the functions I paid for are not working.  When I
>send the release command to the list I receive this:

This is a "feature".  When installing any paid version over the Free
Edition, you must first remove the file 'license.file' from
x:\LISTSERV\MAIN  (don't erase it, just move it out to another safe place
directory).  The problem is (most likely) that the Free Edition license is
good for 10 lists, while your Classic license is only good for 5. LISTSERV
sees the 10 list, non-expiring license as "better" than the 5 list,
expiring license so chooses it at startup time.

Note also that if you are running Classic over Lite, that you should
reinstall from a Classic installation kit.  The Lite kit is missing several
files which it doesn't need, but the classic version does.  the best way to
ensure everything is correct is to reninstall the newest kit right over the
top of the existing.  All your lists, and settings will be protected.