"F. Scott Ophof" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Jul 1993 04:33:12 -0400
The following has probably already been discussed at some time.

There are times when a subject is crossposted for some reason.
From personal experience over the past few years, I've seen that it
is quite difficult to keep the crossposts going to the correct
lists.  Ie. people sometimes reply to only one list instead of all
of them.  Leaving out the instances when they do this on purpose
(which is their right), it's the ones who want to reply to the whole
set of lists which are in constant trouble.  Of course one can do a
group reply (REPLY ALL in RiceMAIL terms), but that generally means
that copies also go to the PERSONS whose addrs are in the "From:"
(and maybe "Reply-To:") fields.  Not only that, but when one is
subscribed to more than one of the crossposted lists, one gets a
copy from each of them.
This set of circumstances is not at all uncommon, and I realise
that a definitive solution might mean changes to both MUAs and MLMs
(maybe even MTAs?).
The one obvious solution is conscientious checking/editing of the
headers by posters.
But since I'm obviously more interested in automated solutions, has
there been any advace or even partial solution discussed, or better
yet, implemented?

Regards.
$$\