"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:58:59 -0800
Colleagues,

I'm building a form that sends email commands to LISTSERV 15.0.
Before adding the commands to the form, I'm testing the various email
commands. It's been a few years since I've issued LISTSERV commands
via email, so maybe I'm missing something.

Here is my issue: I compose an email addressed to
LISTSERV@[domainOmitted.com]. In the body, I put this:

         ADD [listNameOmitted] [emailAddressOmitted] John Smith
pw=[passwordOmitted]

It returns this error message:

> > add [listNameOmitted] [emailAddressOmitted] John Smith
>The  ADD command  requires  password validation  when  issued from  remote
>locations. Please specify a "PW=" keyword followed by a suitable password.
>Acceptable passwords are: your personal password (obtained through the "PW
>ADD"  command) and  the  password of  the STEWARDSHIP  list.  If you  have
>forgotten your password, send a "PW RESET" command to reset it or, if this
>fails,         contact          the         LISTSERV         administrator
>(owner-LISTSERV@[domainOmitted.com]) for assistance.
>
>(note - the request originated from [omitted])
>

>Unknown command - "[passwordOmitted]". Try HELP.

Yet, when I issue an email-based unsubscribe command, using this
syntax, it works:

DELETE [listNameOmitted] [emailAddressOmitted] pw=[passwordOmitted]

I've been pouring through the manuals and just cannot understand why
the ADD command by email does not work, while the DELETE command by
email works fine.

Help!

Steve

Stephen C. Nill