Kenneth Udut <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 12:09:37 -0400
In article <[log in to unmask]>, you wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 1995, David Boyes wrote:
> > Realistically, as the unwashed masses get net access, it's only going to
> > to get worse. Stopping it now is essential, while the problem is relatively
> > small. In a year, it's not going to be a small problem any more.
>
> David, may I ask you - you say stopping it now is essential; how is
> that?  Is there a way to stop it?

I've been on the Internet for over 5 years now, and I'm still a kid
when I compare myself to the Eric Thomas', the Gene Spafford's, and
all of the 'biggies' whose names are known throughout the land.

When I got onto the Internet - it was the same story.  "Too many people
on the Internet".  "Imminent Death of the Net Predicted".  "Now that
we're on the Internet, we'd better make sure the "clueless newbies"
(I hate that term with a passion) don't get on and screw it up".

Patience, man, patience.  These things run their course.  The Internet
didn't start as soon as I got on the Internet.  The Internet didn't
start when you got on the Internet.  It's been around a lot longer
than either of us.

I like it when new people come onto the Internet - that means that
more people have a chance to become more than they were before.  It
can go in either direction, good or bad, but it's usually good.

And it's people like us - the listowners, who are providing an important
service to these people.  We are providing information, support, and helping
them grow, not only in their Internet knowledge, but in their knowledge
of people - not to mention the knowledge in whatever field your list
is about.

Never forget that.  It's too important.

The old cliche "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater" (meaning,
when the bathwater is dirty from washing the baby in it, take the
baby out before tossing the water).  In other words: keep the good
stuff, which is the main bulk, and toss out the bad stuff.

Ken