Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:18:14 -0500
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:56:35 +0000, John Corwin said:
> I sent a 65K plus mailing out today.  It looks to me that it's queuing pretty
> fast, but I may not be the best at reading the log.  The mailing still took
> about 3 hours or so--is that normal?

65K in 3 hours is about 6 per second, which isn't blazing, but not outrageously
slow either.  As a comparison, we have Listserv hand off to a local Sendmail
that then does delivery to destination mail servers.  Best I ever managed for a
single large posting  was a 75K recipient posting handed off to Sendmail,
enqueued on the local Sendmail queue in about 5 minutes, and 75% delivered to
remote destinations in 15 minutes.

But let's just say that Sendmail config was just a tad more tuned for outbound
delivery than what your standard Linux distro installs. It's *hard* to get
Sendmail to accept 250+ RCPT TO's per second - in particular, you need to
either avoid letting Sendmail issue any DNS lookup during the accept phase,
or run a local DNS cache and hope for a 100% hit rate, or both :)