Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Tue, 28 Oct 1986 14:42 SET
  ok, we shouldn't discuss this subject on the list, but....

1) The 3705 *always*  has regulated voltage sources problems. But  right, it is
   overheated.

2) The  air-conditionning system  is not  strong enough,  we know  it. I'm  not
   responsible for  the stupidity of the  Head Directions which states  that it
   is enough for the machine, period. Never argue with God.

3) We're not going to  buy a 3725 but a 3720. We don't  want to buy it. However
   IBM has  prepared a neat  'cle en mains' system  for us, with  everything as
   THEY think is best  and they said it would be real  nice. The Head Direction
   trusts IBM and  says sure, it will  be perfect. Except the  total disk space
   will be  only 1/3 of  what we have  at present, but  "just ask the  users to
   reduce their disk  usage". It's nice, all  we have to do is  sign the check,
   and since the people who sign the  check are satisfied, all's well that ends
   well.

4) However: two 3375s  and one 3720 heat  less than 16 3350s, one  3705 and one
   3211 (we won't have any  line printer on the new system).  So the air condi-
   tionning system will be  relieved of a lot of heat  and will probably become
   too strong.  I've been trying to  suggest that the temperature  regulator be
   repaired before installing the new system,  because then it will perhaps not
   be desirable to have  the thing work 100% of the  time, but without success.
   We've already had ice in the room  once, after having powered off the compu-
   ter for three days......

  Eric