Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Jan 1994 08:51:24 CST
On Mon, 3 Jan 1994 18:28:47 EST Trevor C Poole said:
>> A possible FAQ but in any case ...
>>
>> Is it considered kosher to find a way to change mail going out
>> from my Listserv@Ferris to show in the mail from field: Listname( or
>Listserv)@VM1.Ferris.Edu instead of [log in to unmask] when sending
>to Internet only sites ?

   I think your SMTP server should be doing that for you.  You should
be using SMTP V2.2 with rules (and you probably want to check the
IBMTCP-L list archives for a better set of rules to use than the
default).  It is a violation of the Internet standards to let .BITNET
addresses get out onto the Internet.

   Of course it depends if you consider your host "BITNET homed" or
"Internet homed" on how you handle this.  We probably send a LOT more
e-mail to Internet addresses but still have a BITNET orientation.  So
we send BITNET style addresses to BITNET hosts and Internet style
addresses to Internet hosts.  If you change to Internet style addresses
only and still send to BITNET you'll probably find BITNET sites which still
can't handle the Internet address...

                                                  Marty