"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:45:33 -0400
Mark wrote, in part..
>     1. (asked previously, but not answered) How could i go about
>     arranging list archives into alphabetical pages, so that they are
>     updated automatically by Listserv ie A | B | C | D | E or A-C D-G H-K
>     L-O ... we have over 600 lists on our system now, most with web archives
>     finding the list you want is a real pain -- If you are networked, you
>     can find your lists in order through the Catalist at:
>     http://www.lsoft.com/lists/listref.html

One might write (on any web server, not necessarily LISTSERV's) code to approximate this until
LSoft gets a round tuit.

For example, I do this to enhance LISTSERV maintainer access (me and our help desk
manager).  Periodically, the code uses the LCMD protocol to TCP port 2306 of LISTSERV to
invoke various commands such as LISTS (list names and titles), SHOW POINTS (# of
subscribers) and REVIEW (list descriptions).  Sprinkle with a little HTML to get the A|B|C... and
buttons to go directly to configuration management, subscription management, etc., and you've
got quick access to all lists.  Since my current code lists confidential lists, the resulting pages are
provided to only authorized viewers.   If one peeked at the list descriptions to see
Confidential=Yes, one could build general access (non-authenticated) pages easily.
Unfortunately, my work is just at a prototype level now, and written on an operating system you
probably don't have (VM), so it's not available ... but I probably don't have more than a couple of
days invested in it .. quite straight-forward. :)

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                       mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System