Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 13:47:04 EST
"Blaine E. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

:Any idea what this one means?

:The following 1 subscriber is currently being monitored:
:
:Err First Last  Address
:--- ----- ----- -------
:111 12/15 12/20 Matt Zorzin <[log in to unmask]>
:                Last error: Unavailable; notary status was 5.1.1

I delete these when they turn up. It seems to be pretty authoritative,
and means that these users are *gone*.

Here's part of a post I dug up from the lstown-l archives that explains
the notary status codes:

>Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 1996 01:10:11 EDT
>From:         Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: notary status was 5.1.2
>
>> Ever since Indiana moved listserv from a mainframe to a *gasp!* Pentium,
>> I have been receiving new notices that say "notary status was 5.1.2."
>> Just curious: anyone know what this means?
>>
>> > Err First Last  Address
>> > --- ----- ----- -------
>
>These codes are documented in RFC 1893.  Here's an excerpt:
>
>   Status codes consist of three numerical fields separated by ".". The
>first sub-code indicates whether the delivery attempt was successful.
>The second sub-code indicates the probable source of any delivery
>anomalies, and the third sub-code indicates a precise error
>condition.

[...]

bunch of stuff -- *very* useful stuff -- deleted. But it looks like this
error reflects a permanent problem. If you read the post, you'll
probably deduce the same.

You can get the post, explaining these notary status codes by mailing
to:

with the message:

getpost lstown-l 10322

Hope this is helpful.