"Michael J. Langum" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:52:12 -0400
Francoise,
Thanks for the help.  I tried to "telnet listserv.opm.gov 25."  I got
back a line that said:
     "220 servfwDC.opm.gov SMTP/smtp-proxy Ready. "

That looks to me like I'm NOT getting through. But, since I don't
use telnet and  I'm not familiar with the feedback, maybe it just
says I got through servfwDC, and the "Ready." is the goodnews I
want.  What does "220" mean?  Can you interperet?

I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to SMTP routing and
delivery.  I have forwarded your message to the administrator of
"servfwDC.opm.gov."

From your message, it seemed to me that the problem was with
servfwDC, not listserv.  From what you can see is that a
CERTAIN fact, or merely a possibility?  Is it possible that LSMTP
is not loading correctly on listserv.opm.gov?   I checked
SMTP-19990622.log.  It says....
  22 Jun 1999 12:18:47 LISTSERV SMTP listener, version 1.0d
  22 Jun 1999 12:18:47 Copyright L-Soft international, 1994-99
  22 Jun 1999 12:18:47 Initialization complete.

What would be the next diagnostic step?

Thanks so much for your help.
 --Mike
>>> Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]> 06/22/99
04:38pm >>>
On 22 Jun 99, at 14:30, Michael J. Langum wrote:

> Thanks for all the good suggestions I got.  They have helped
me
> to discover that the problem is that the server is not
RECEIVING
> mail.

The problem is probably not that your server is unable to
RECEIVE the
mail, it's that the mail never gets there.

There is an MX that routes mail for LISTSERV.OPM.GOV through
servfwDC.opm.gov. I've just tried it, and it _is_ accepting mail for
[log in to unmask], so that's a good sign. Next thing is to
find
out what it does with this mail. You should check the logs there.

Ideally, it's best if LISTSERV accepts its own mail, but if it's
behind a
firewall, then that's not always an option.

To test whether LISTSERV (or really SMTPL aka "the listener") is
accepting
mail, telnet to port 25 of the server and see if it responds. I can't
connect, but that probably means it's behind a firewall. If you are
on the
same side of the firewall as it, you can try:

TELNET LISTSERV.OPM.GOV 25

and see if you get a response.

Francoise