Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Wed, 30 Nov 88 11:35:46 CST
>Recently, the COCO list (on LISTSERV at PUCC) was plagued by a run-away
>auto-reply mailer which looped infinitely for a couple of days, flooding
>over 100 messages back to the list and generating thousands of outbound
>files.
>
>...  Would
>it be possible to add a limit on the number of files from a particular
>user?  Or, failing that, for the list owner to specify the maximum number
>of files to go out per day?

   In 1.5n the   Daily-Threshold   header option was added.  It defaults
to 50 mailings a day.  The list goes into HOLD when the threshold is
exceeded.  (I had to increase a few here but haven't seen this happen
lately).

   Also, judicious choice of list type (eg. Send=Editor) and Reply-to
can save a lot of grief for lists which may be redistributions of some
Internet list.  Finally, the TRAPIN option of the local sysvars can be
added to save a lot of hassles.  For example I have
      TRAPIN = trapin 'SMTP@* postmaster@PSUVAX1'
(note the concatenation of the options).

         Marty
Marty Hoag
ND Higher Education Computer Network    US Mail: NDSU Computer Center
Phone: (701)-237-8639                            PO Box 5164 / UCCS
Bitnet:   NU021172@NDSUVM1    (NOTE 0 = ZERO)    Fargo, ND  58105
Internet: [log in to unmask]
UUCP:    ...!uunet!ndsuvax!vm1.nodak.edu!NU021172