Jeffrey R Kell <JEFF@UTCVM>
Tue, 07 Apr 87 14:40:18 EDT
>>                                                   Did I misunderstand
>>something in RFC822? I thought that the following name field was valid:
>>
>>     "\"James R. Gerland\""
>>
>Be careful about backslash -- remember there is a dual mapping between
>the ASCII and EBCDIC versions.  Could the problem be that one server
>thinks the only correct EBCDIC character is BACKSLASH while the other
>thinks it is CENT SIGN?
>                                       John

Or, is it perhaps a square bracket?  We get strange mappings of ASCII
square brackets which are listed in some publications I have seen of
alleged RFC-822 (HP DeskManager Programmatic Access Guide shows the
familiar '< >' delimiters as SQUARE BRACKETS in their RFC822 syntax,
and that's what the stupid son-of-a-so-and-so generates, leaving me
to translate ["Jeff KELL"@UTCHP1/CC.BITNET] into <[log in to unmask]>
and vice versa).