Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:55:45 -0400
Here's the situation;

I currently run the NTBugTraq mailing list, currently known as
[log in to unmask], and I just registered ntbugtraq.com so I want to
change the list name to [log in to unmask] (I'm open to suggestions on
what else to use instead of mail).

The reason I did this are that my original domain, rc.on.ca, uses MS
Exchange Server as its SMTP handler, and it would then redirect all mail
for listserv@ or ntbugtraq@ off to my Listserv machine (which is
actually known as listserv.lists.rc.on.ca). I haven't been using my
LSMTP license (5 points) because MS Exchange could handle a much larger
volume and deliver it quicker than that size of license of LSMTP.

Anyway, continued problems with how MSX handles envelope recipients have
forced me to put everything off to the Listserv/LSMTP machine.

I don't want the MSX box involved at all, and I didn't want to make the
new name [log in to unmask] (personal preference), so I figured
getting the list its own domain was a good way to solve the problem.

Now my question for you all. What are your suggestions about
transitioning the list name with my subscribers? I have almost 6000
subscribers now, but the message volume is very low (usually only 3 or 4
messages per day). I have my DNS already set up to handle the traffic,
so all I need to do is figure out how best to handle the two names
simultaneously while people get used to the new name.

I can put an autoresponder on inbound messages destined for
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] telling them the new name if I
have to, but I was wondering if Listserv could support a list using
multiple names?

i.e. if a message came in to the list as [log in to unmask], would the
list now known as [log in to unmask] be able to recognize it? and would
it be sent out to the list membership as a message from

If anyone has gone through a similar experience before, and has a few
moments to discuss the pros and cons, I'd really appreciate hearing from
you off-line.

Cheers,
Russ
R.C. Consulting, Inc. - NT/Internet Security
owner of the NTBugTraq mailing list:
http://ntbugtraq.rc.on.ca/index.html