Mark London <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 13:19:45 -0500
Hi
        I'm a new list owner (actually, one of the new owners).  My access is
only via internet mail.  Can I update the list's file that way?  I used the GET
command to get it, edited it (changing Errors-to= Owner to Errors-to=Owners),
and the sent it back (with the first line being the PUT command).  I got the
following error message:

Header lines must start  with an asterisk in column 1,  and other lines must
start  with an  RFC822 address  in column  1. To  avoid potentially  serious
problems due to finger-checks, lines starting with a blank are not accepted.
PUT operation rejected, old list remains unchanged.

Any idea why it is happening?  Should the PUT command be the first line of the
message?  I have no blank lines (the 2nd line is a header line starting with
*).  Or is it not possible to do via mail?  Thanks.