Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:29:31 -0400
On 6/16/2011 11:09, Bruce Keppler wrote:
> Thanks for the excellent suggestion.  I have one follow up question before I try this.  I know there are at least 21 messages queued up and ready to be released once I get this list freed.  If my list members get "spammed" with 21 or more messages in rapid succession they are going to scream to be removed from the list.  In a perfect world what I'd like to do is ensure those messages get put in the archives but are not distributed via email.  If that isn't possible then I'd like to just purge them before attempting the solution below.
>
> Is there a way to do either of these things?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> BK

If you set everyone to NOMAIL before you free the list, the messages will be archived, but
copies will not be sent to the subscribers. Before you do this, you might want to query
all subscribers' option settings, so you can restore their current settings after the
messages are processed.

If you are not concerned about restoring subscribers' current options, do this:

	quiet set (listname) nomail for *@*

	free (listname)

	quiet set (listname) mail for *@*

If you want to be able to restore subscribers' current options, do this:

	query (listname) for *@*

	quiet set (listname) nomail for *@*

	free (listname)

After the pending messages are processed, use the output from the query command to
determine which subscribers need to be reset to MAIL, DIGEST, or INDEX. I would suggest
using 'quiet set' rather than 'set', to suppress notification to the subscribers that you
have changed their option settings.

If you need to reset options for more than a few subscribers, you might want to do it by
email, rather than via the web interface. Send a single message to
listserv@(your-listserv-server-hostname) with the following commands as the only text in
the body of the message:

	ok begin
	quiet set (listname) (option) for (someone)
	quiet set (listname) (option) for (someone-else)
	ok end

LISTSERV will send a single command confirmation request for all commands between 'ok
begin' and 'ok end', rather than a seperate command confirmation request for each command.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team