Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 22:49:13 +0100
On Mon, 27 Feb 1995 16:48:18 -0500 Laura Toms <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I've found a directory /var/spool/listserv that  has jobs in it, some of
>which have  a ".error" suffix. What  does this mean, is  it related? And
>what's the significance of the files under lsv/tmp?

/var/spool/listserv is  probably your  LISTSERV spool directory  (you set
its location in the makefile when  installing the code, so it varies from
one system  to another). The  *.error files are  files that could  not be
processed successfully.  They're here so that  you can retry them  if the
problem is due to a configuration  error, for instance. Sometimes you get
a truncated  file from the network  and you can't do  anything with them.
You should be able to view these  files with the jobview utility. The tmp
directory contains temporary  files that can be safely erased  as long as
LISTSERV is  not running. The  contents of the  directory at the  time of
failure may provide a  helpful hint as to what happened,  and so does the
main LISTSERV  log (which unfortunately may  not be available if  you run
the server  interactively). In  other words  I need to  know what  it was
doing when  it hung. On  unixes without a  journaled file system,  the #1
cause of weird  loops or crashes is  a corrupted or missing  file after a
system crash, so  I would advise making frequent backups  of the lsv/home
subdirectory (or the whole system for that matter).

  Eric