Mark Bodenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Nov 1991 09:19:45 EST
On Sat, 16 Nov 1991 19:07:02 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>Anyway I don't understand  why this is such a problem  for you, since you
>are running  VM/XA and  you can  have as many  files as  you want  in the
>spool. ...

I don't know why this is a problem for the original writer, but it is a
problem for us.  We run VM/XA on a very memory-constrained 4381 and this
is a problem for us there.  The reason is the real memory ("free storage")
used by the control blocks for the spoolfiles.  It's not a huge amount
per spoolfile, but with 20,000 of them on the system it adds up to a lot.

Mark