Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:29:12 -0400
At 09:42 4/25/2006 Tuesday, Michael DeGregory wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Just wondering if someone could explain the difference between a bounce
>and an error for a distribute job.
>I thought a bounce was simple an undelivered message due to either:
>1) No user at the specified domain
>2) No domain name
>3) Or any mail system that sends an automatic reply back to the sender
>(example: Vacation Message)
>
>What is the "Errors To" keyword for? What constitutes an error as opposed
>to a bounce back?

ERRORS-TO= list definition keyword is the list of RFC822 email addresses (or role accounts) where LISTSERV will delivery certains kinds of error/bounce and/or daily error monitor reports.

When LISTSERV generates a list distribution, it uses Internet standards (RFCs) to compose the mail delivery envelope (commonly called RFC821).  One of those control records is

MAIL FROM and a typical one (though there are other formats for specific situations) that is generated, let's say for this list

MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>

iF the target mail system rejects the mail (either during the delivery process, or after accepting the mail), it may "bounce" the message back to this RFC822 address.

That's when LISTSERV "decodes" that address, and based upon the nature of the error, returns it to the list of recipients in the ERRORS-TO= field , summarizes it, or perhaps takes an action based upon the AUTO-DELETE= keyword.

Followup discusstion to LSTOWN-L@

/Pete Weiss
independent list consultant