Siegfried Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:41:34 +0200
> I am the moderator of a list. All moderator functions work fine.
> However, when I subscribe to the list, I do not receive any of
> the postings. We run Listserv on unix if that is of any help.
> I do have REPRO set as the default for the list and a query
> shows I'm set so accordingly.

Jim,

this may happen if your mail system inserts a "Sender:" field that
contains your *own* e-mail address. A list member with such a "Sender:"
field cannot receive repro copies. We had this problem several times and I
am still not sure who is "guilty" in this case. This behaviour of LISTSERV
may be useful in order to prevent loops, but RFC 2821 says:

   Servers SHOULD simply utilize the addresses on the list; application of
   heuristics or other matching rules to eliminate some addresses, such as
   that of the originator, is strongly discouraged.

On the other hand, mail systems should not use superfluous "Sender:" fields
because RFC 2822 says:

   If the originator of the message can be indicated by a single mailbox
   and the author and transmitter are identical, the "Sender:" field
   SHOULD NOT be used.

I am not so familiar with these issues, but I see a possible conflict here.

Regards,

Siegfried Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>