Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:19:22 -0400
>I send a mailinglist on rock gardening called
>to about 950 subscribers.  Alpine-L was fully monitored for several
>years, but in the past few months I have been slowly setting to
>Editor status the more frequent posters, so that instead of my
>having to confirm their postings they are asked to confirm them
>themselves.  All is well, except that two of the subscribers had
>problems when I set their accounts to "editor" status.  Their posts
>never reached the software, they were never asked for confirmation,
>and they were never posted.  When I restored them to normal status
>(so that their posts are sent to me for confirmation) the system
>works as intended.
[. . .]

When you say their posts never reached LISTSERV, is that based on
looking at the log file or just because they never received a
confirmation request?

My speculation is that their messages did receive LISTSERV but they
never got the command confirmation becuase their ISPs are blocking
mail with null return paths.  (See
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/lsv-faq.stm#5.16 for more information on
this problem.)  This is just an educated guess, though, and you may
have information that rules this out.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support