Disaster Research Center <ACJ00984@UDACSVM>
Fri, 12 May 89 15:17:40 EDT

LISTSERV host needed for DISASTER RESEARCH teleconference.

The Disaster Research Center at the University of Delaware currently operates
a teleconference called DISASTER RESEARCH which is handled via the GRAND
server machine (IBM GroupTalk) at UDACSVM with peers at CUNYVM and BROWNVM.

If you know anything about GRAND, it is a very inefficient LISTSERV emulator
(among other things).  It's very hard to use and we are looking for an
alternative distribution method.

I'm posting this notice here to see if anyone would be willing to hang
a DISASTER list on their LISTSERV.  We need to find a host since UDACSVM
does not support LISTSERV at our site and does not have a PostMaster.

Currently, we have 46 participants who correspond via mail messages from
Europe, the Middle East, Asia, the Pacific region, and North America.
I have moderated this conference for the past 14 months, and we have
generated 157 messages during this time.  The description of the proposed
format of such a LISTSERV list, is included below.

        List Title:  Disaster Research
                             List Name:  DISASTER

The Disaster Research Center at the University of Delaware moderates an
electronic teleconversation entitled DISASTER RESEARCH.  This conference is
designed to enable sociologists and other scholars to exchange information
and share expertise in areas of common research and interest.  Our
discussion groups take a sociological approach as we look at human social
behavior within organizations and communities during times of disaster.

The conference includes

+  An interactive newsletter that announces the latest developments in the
   disaster research field.

+  A hotline that functions as a notification network to dispatch teams to
   large scale community emergencies and to coordinate research units.

+  A message service listing upcoming reports and publications, conferences,
   new database releases, and resources for visitors.

+  Research contacts that include discussion groups, messages from visiting
   faculty, and interlibrary communication to track hard-to-find literature.

+  Educational contacts that include liaisons with scholars involved
   primarily in other fields and contact with professionals in corporate
   and government offices who work in emergency management.

To join our teleconversation, send an electronic mail message to:

ACJ00984@UDACSVM   (BITNET)  or

[log in to unmask]   (INTERNET).

For more information, contact

Bruce D. Crawford
Research Assistant / Computer Services Coordinator
Disaster Research Center
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716  U.S.A.

Telephone: (302) 451-6618  or  (302) 451-6625.
FAX: (302) 451-2828.

---

To see what kind of traffic such a LISTSERV might generate, I am including
(below) a list of the messages currently posted on our GRAND server.
Some messages have been replaced with fresher material so you will see
some missing numbers in the sequence.

 Conf: UD-SOC      Titles of Entries in DISASTER RESEARCH
 Beginning of topic DISASTER RESEARCH
   0 Welcome to DISASTER RESEARCH.
   1 Welcome to DISASTER RESEARCH.
   2 Information about the Disaster Research Center
   3 Minimizing connect-time charges.
   4 Disasters and systems failures.
   10 DRC Publication List
   11 I.  Book and Monograph Series.
   12 II.  Report Series.
   13 III.  Historical and Comparative Disaster Series.
   14 IV.  Articles.
   15 V.  Preliminary Papers.
   16 VI.  Dissertations.
   17 VII.  Final Project Reports.
   18 VIII.  Miscellaneous Reports.
   19 IX.  Other DRC Publications.
   20 X.  Publications from Other Sources.
   22 Review: NSF Workshop, CD-ROM
   37 DRC Publications List Update - New Items
   38 DRC Library Classification System - 1988
   39 Periodicals in DRC Library - Listing
   40 Using the DRC SCIMATE Manager files.
   41 Electronic Card Catalog Available from DRC.
   42 Keywords to use with electronic files.
   44 Welcome Alberta Public Safety Services!
   45 Earthquake Information
   46 Conference on Mass Media & Disasters.
   48 More earthquake info.
   49 Disaster Congress / Chicago cancelled.
   50 Conference Update.
   51 List of International Connections.
   53 Crisis Response Conclusion Retrieval System (CRCRS).
   55 Automatic Service / Sending A Contribution.
   57 Need help locating document.
   58 UNDRONET Contact List / Electronic Address Book.
   59 More help on how to contribute.
   60 Job information.
   61 Basic Readings List / Sociology of Disaster.
   62 New PAHO/WHO video: Myths and Realities of Natural Disasters.
   63 Mid South Sociological Association / Disaster session.
   66 Lifelines disruption - Telephone:  Company responds.
   67 Contact list - Quick Reference.
   70 NCSA ANNUAL MEETING
   71 Upcoming conferences.
   73 Users want introductory info about YOU!
   74 Self-introduction (Paul McDonald).
   75 Volunteers tied into 911.
   76 Course offered at University of Delaware / Emerg. Mgmt.
   77 Simon Fraser University to host disaster network.
   78 Hi, my name is Neil Carpenter. I am a student at Michigan Technolgical
   79 Research on evacuation.
   80 Introduction Crisis Onderzoek Team (C.O.T.)
   81 Info for visitors to DRC / U. of Delaware.
   83 Emergent Districts.
   84 Avalanche info sought.
   85 Some initial readings / Avalanche.
   87 Computer community assesses damage caused by virus.
   88 Project collaboration request.
   90 U.S.S.R. Earthquake Information.
   91 Hi everybody!
   92 Becoming an active participant in 1989!
   93 Course Outline PSC 467 / Disaster and Politics.
   94 Database services available (Sci-Mate).
   96 Self-Introduction, Earl Brabb / Map production, authorship.
   97 Info/data needed, Temporary Response Organizations.
   98 1988 Floods Khartoum, Sudan (Public Health).
   99 National Science Foundation (USA), FY1990 Budget / Planning Info.
   100 More on Temporary Response Organizations.
   101 National Center For Earthquake Engineering Research NCEER/ SUNY Buffalo.
   102 Self-Intro: ASF World Hunger Program at Brown (CHEN    )
   103 Another resource:  Public-access to DELCAT from off-campus (U. Del).
   105 Convergence management:  Using survivors & their families as a resource.
   106 Convergence Management / Documenting convergence - Newspaper accounts.
   107 Title access to back meassages
   108 Earthquake information message.
   109 Electronic Bulletin Boards operated by U.S.A.
   110 References needed: Disaster communication.
   111 Database for hazards research recommendations.
   112 Using DELCAT to inquire about disaster-related materials.
   113 Psychologists contribute to disaster research literature.
   114 List of EMS/Medical Computer Bulletin Boards (update).
   115 Internet perceived as a research lifeline : (IAB Statement).
   116 XII World Congress of Sociology (Call for Papers).
   117 DELCAT adds dial-up numbers for Sussex, Kent counties.
   118 NSF seeks opinions about quick-response non-reviewed grants.
   119 Non-U.S. distribution for DISASTER RESEARCH.
   120 Earthquake information message.
   121 Tell me  everything about...     (Using CRCRS to find out!)
   122 DISASTER RESEARCH concludes one-year trial period / Message list.
   123 Conference presentation - Disaster Planning - (ACM/CCMS/SIGUCCS).
   124 Public education / Hazard management (Lidstone).
   125 Bringing back data from the field:  Preliminary analysis.
   128 Malawi earthquake info (3/10/89).
   129 Self-introduction (Patnaik).
   130 Call for Abstracts, AI Applications to Earth Sciences.
   131 Methods advice sought / survey researchers using telephone.
   132 Processing 1990 United States census data.
   133 Recent dissertation.
   135 Earthquake information message.
   136 NSF "Grants" Bulletin Board info relayed here.
   137 Center for Earthquake Studies Opens in Missouri.
   138 Self-introduction:  Jay Levinson, Israel National Police.
   139 We're becoming more interdisciplinary all the time! (and multi-cultural)
   140 Ideas for expanded teleconference use.  The CRTNET example.
   141 Use this space to report disasters as you hear of them.
   142 Mass casualty - Sheffield's Hillsborough Ground.
   143 Earthquake information message.
   144 A warm welcome to these new DISASTER RESEARCH participants.
   145 Some earthquake-related injuries/damage Sichuan Prov., PRC 4/15/89.
   146 IBM VM/SP users can back-order messages with GETDRC EXEC.
   147 Mexico earthquake 4/25/89.
   148 Call for papers:  Media and Crisis (Laval University).
   149 Kansas drought.
   150 Academic Research Facilities Modernization Program (NSF).
   151 Spring cleaning on the server machine / back messages will get the boot.
   152 Slight impact during 4/25 earthquake in Mexico.
   153 United Nations International Emergency Network (UNIENET).
   154 DRC Publications List Update - (New items) - April 1989.
   155 List of back-messages currently available via the server.
   156 You've got a friend in the White House.
   157 Junk mail arrival.  Sorry for the deluge.

As a potential host for our conference, you will probably also want to know
how our users are distributed about the network.  Here is a list of
current participants:

DOWNING@NCARIO
ncc!apss.apss.ab.ca!rvg%alberta%UQV-MTS@UMICHUM
TSAYCY@TWNTUCC1
OMOHUNJT@SNYPOTBA
TJAMES@STLAWU
C95882DG@WUVMD
E026PB@TAMVM1
$GAKREP@WMMVS
USERHCHI@UBCMTSG
CMCPHAIL@UIUCVMD
N050024@UNIVSCVM
PB00101@DM0LRZ01
PATNAIKGB@SLUVCA
USEREPIX@SFU
NECARPEN@MTUS5
SCANLON@CARLETON
IERAE01@TECHNION
MARVW@ARIZRVAX
BURKHART@ARIZRVAX
CHEN@BROWNVM
SPIKE@KSUVM
EBRABB@USGSRESV
RSTALLIN@USCVM
LANGRAN@UNOMA1
SNAP@UVVM
JIRI1@PITTVMS
PONTING@UNCAMULT
57501@UWACDC
VANRIJSWIJK@HLERUL55
ncc!apss.apss.ab.ca!jhp%alberta%UQV-MTS@UMICHUM
UGR@ORNLSTC
GOR1@PITTVMS
ACJ13718@UDACSVM
FSO00TRF@UNCCVM
PHILIPH@MUN

Well, I hope that wasn't too much info to absorb all at once.

If you would be able to provide a LISTSERV host for us on which we could
place our discussion, please write to me:

Bruce D. Crawford (ACJ00984@UDACSVM)  or   ([log in to unmask])

Thanks.