"John S. Fisher" <FISHER@RPICICGE>
Fri, 5 Feb 88 09:15:19 EDT
I'd certainly like to see facilities in Listserv to limit file requests.
Although just counting files is not really adequate.  (I have a server
that does that; it is not really adequate).  In the Info-CPM collection,
for example, there are many teeny files, and there are many enormous files.

There is also the problem with people who insist they are more important
than what the request limits are trying to protect.  I get a little
suspicious when I see in the request log that FRED01@HOST requested his
limit of 5 files, and FRED02@HOST asked for 5, and FRED03@HOST...one
right after the other, day after day.

At any rate, is counting files or bytes or something per user going
to be good enough, or will some sort of link-weight and distance
considerations be needed?  My head is beginning to hurt, so I'll stop
adding things to Eric's list of things to do.

Regards,
JSFisher