"John F. Bacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Sep 1993 01:30:54 GMT
Natalie Maynor ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: [log in to unmask] (John F. Bacon) writes:

: >  It seems to me that the best solution would be a mailing list
: >mirrored as a USENET news group.  Then the messages can easily be handled
: >by both groups of people.
: >Does anyone have any advice?

: My experience has been that it works fine.

No kidding, my test didn't work because I hadn't overriden my options
(yet) so my message or an ack was sent to me by mail. 8-)
That is the sort of nice touch I like in software!

: One slight risk is that if
: the majority of active participants are reading and responding on
: usenet, the people still getting it as mail will be left behind in
: the discussion -- since the usenet people will be seeing each other's
: postings before the regular subscribers do.

I think you are telling me that USENET distribution is usually much faster
than the BITNET mail reflection.

: as quiet as the one you're talking about (I find it hard to think of
: 5-20 messages a day as "fairly active"!), there should be no problem.

1 to 3 day message turnaround slows things down a LOT.  I suspect
the traffic will increase if we make the change I am proposing (50
to 100 a day seems possible.)  Even 20 messages which are not work related
are a lot of unscheduled traffic.  Much better for most to make them
invisible except at breaks.

Thanks for your reply.  How do most people who have a choice read a list,
via mail or news?  I have been assuming most will choose news.
--
John Bacon