Ed & Tracy Looney <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 19:04:55 -0500
My name is Edward Looney. I am a member of a group of people who
are researching our family history. We currently have over 70
members in the "Looney Bin" and managing the list is becoming
unwieldy (impossible for some of our grandmotherly types). We
need to move our list to an automated system.

We have located one possibility, but it will cost $10 per month.
that is not much, but the man who uses the provider can't afford
it alone and there is no mechanism in place to collect money from
the members with any hope of confidence. James is unwilling to
take the chance of getting stuck with the whole bill.

The name of the list will be LOONEY and it will be described as
"The Looney Family History List".

The list will be managed by:
    Pat L. Davis                      [log in to unmask]
                               or     [log in to unmask]
Assisting her will be:
    Edward G. Looney                  [log in to unmask]
                               or     [log in to unmask]
and
    James Sullivan                    [log in to unmask]

The only files that would be required would be the "Welcome Note",
which will include a reference to our HomePage and a brief synopsis
of its content and a "Subscription Response" detailing the require-
ments for joining (there is no discrimination other than the fact
that prospects must be "LOONEY" or descended from a "LOONEY"). We
may also like to include a "FAQ" on Genealogical Research. It will
not be extensive, mostly just pointing to sites that have already
put together a quality FAQ.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If you choose to assist us, please direct your response directly
to my address. I do not currently subscribe to many Internet lists.
The volume on some of them can be more than my time budget will
allow (I have a wife and 4-year-old son with another due in August).
I am very familiar with the Internet and it's fundamentals.

I have already gotten the file "NEW-LIST CREATE" and am prepared
to do whatever is required to set up the site.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                        MORE INFORMATION
                (thank you for reading this far!)

Currently, we have one scheduled mailing per month distributed by
Pat Davis, the manager of our list. Occasionally, a member will
uncover something and share it with the list. Our average monthly
volume is between 5 and 10 messages. Warner Brothers "Looney Tunes"
posts are discouraged in the membership and not possible from non-
members (as they can't subscribe to the list).

We have a home page (http://members.gnn.com/~jsully/index.html)
already established and a good amount of information can be found
there. It includes biographies, links to people from one Looney
line's home of the Isle of Man and information on all of the
members of our mailing list.

Our Family has a Celtic origin. Tradition (which a cousin of my
grandfather has reported confirmed) says the family was founded
in the year 178 A.D. with the marriage of either: The son of the
Spanish king, Milesius, and the daughter of Irish chieftan, Con
of a Hundred Battles; or the daughter of the King with Con himself.

The list was originally created to research the ancestors of a
Manx (Isle of Man) farmer who arrived in the U.S. in the mid-1700s.
However, since his ancestors had come from the north of Ireland and
their ancestors had come from County Cork (where Con established
the family), any Looney is accepted as any Looney could be a source
that aids us in connecting beyond that Manx farmer to the original
"LOONEYS".

The family has married descendants of German nobles, at least one
American President (John Adams), the brother of Dolly Madison's
father, Native Americans, English, French, Hispanic and Afro-
Americans.

Variations of the Looney name include: Loinghes (original name),
Luinigh, Llewnie, Luna, Lunney, Lunny, Leeney, O'Looney and more.
The sons of that Manx farmer alone took three different last names:
Looney, Lunney and Luna.

                         Ed, Ward & Tracy Looney

(214) 840-0308                                     2805 Beasley Drive
[log in to unmask]                            Garland, Texas  75041