Chuck Kesler <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Nov 1990 08:52:15 EST
>I realize that whenever a person subscribes to my list (DEAF-L@SIUCVMB)
>LISTSERV sends that person a message indicating that they have been added
>to the list and gives instructions on unsubscribing from the list.  What
>I would like to do, however, is in addition to that initial message
>from LISTSERV have a "welcoming" message from myself automatically go
>out to all new subscribers.  Presently I do this for each individual
>subscriber, but I would like to arrange things so that it is done
>automatically by LISTSERV without requiring any time or effort on my
>part.  Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this (if it can be done)???

With a hint from Eric, I was able to set something like this up for one
   of my list owners a couple of weeks ago.  Here's what you can do:

Given:  a list called TEST-L, and a file called WELCOME MESSAGE defined
   in some filelist.

1. Write an EXEC, say TEST$MSG EXEC, that will call LSVSENDF to
   send the desired file to a new subscriber.  You might use
   something like this:

   /* Send WELCOME MESSAGE to a new TEST-L subscriber */

      trace off
      address command

      parse arg destination

      call LSVSENDF destination, 'WELCOME MESSAGE', 'M', 'MAIL'

      exit ''

   Note that this call to LSVSENDF causes WELCOME MESSAGE to be
   sent as a mail message, as if the user had issued a
   'GET WELCOME MESSAGE F=MAIL' command

2. Store TEST$MSG EXEC on Listserv's A-disk.

3. Create a TEST-L MAILFORM, if you haven't already, which contains
   a replacement for :$SIGNUP.  You can do this by getting $DEFAULT
   MAILFORM from Listserv and editting everything out except for
   :$SIGNUP.

4. At the end of the :$SIGNUP section, add the following line:

   'TEST$MSG(destination)'

   where TEST$MSG is the name of an EXEC you created in step 1.

5. Store the updated TEST-L MAILFORM back on Listserv.

That should do the trick.  If I've made any obvious or not-so-
obvious mistakes, feel free to correct me.

Chuck Kesler
VM Systems Programmer
North Carolina State University Computing Center