Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:45:33 -0400
>Hi
>
>I'm trying to insert some text into teh following templates for
>autoresponders:
>
>post_editor
>postack1
>
>The problem is, that when I receive the autoresponse back from Listserv,
>the text is in one block, rather than formatted and with line breaks as
>I inserted it.
>
>What could be the problem?

They are linear templates.  Here's the relevent quotes from the
documentation (I'm reading the Site Manager's Guide):

| In a linear message, most special instructions are ignored. This is
| because the contents of the template form are just a few lines out of a
| larger message that is being prepared by LISTSERV to contain the reply
| to the user's command(s). For instance, you do not have any control over
| the "Reply-To:" field of the message, because the message in question is
| shared with other commands and, in fact, may not be a mail message at
| all but an interactive message to the user's terminal, a GUI request,
| etc. Generally speaking, with a linear message you are providing the
| TEXT of the reply to be shown to the user, but you do not have any
| control over the methods used for delivering this information.

In a seperate section, I see:

| Note that you cannot format the SUB_OWNER template; it all comes out as
| one long paragraph without formatting no matter what you do, because it
| is a "linear" template.  But you should modify it from the default to
| let people know that they will receive a questionnaire to be filled out
| and returned.

Finally:

| - POST_EDITOR (linear): this is the message LISTSERV sends to people
|   attempting to post to the list, if it is moderated. The default is
|   "Your &MESSAGE has been submitted to the moderator of the &LISTNAME
|   list: &MBX(&MODERATOR)."

POSTACK1 is apparently also a linear template, though I'm having
trouble tracking this down in the manual.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc