Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Mon, 22 Sep 1986 22:17 SET
Hi Judy,

  We  are having  a problem  with the  European lists  that we  distribute with
FRECP11-LISTSERVs linked  as slaves  to the BITNIC  server (and  peer-linked to
each other). Some people from the  states subscribe to our servers in Europe...
One of them even protested that she likes the European servers better and wants
to use them  and not BITNIC. Now we  don't want to close all the  lists, but we
can't allow  US people on European  servers. We have therefore  decided to fool
our LISTSERVs into believing that there is  a peer server at BITNIC, running on
the INFO account, so  that any subscription request from the  states for a list
that also exists  on BITNIC gets forwarded to [log in to unmask]  This is a temporary
circumvention, and you may receive some inter-server command files from time to
time. You can either discard them or add the people to the appropriate LISTSERV
at BITNIC list as you may see fit.

  Just thought I would let you know so you don't think there is something weird
going on :-)

  Eric

PS: For you LSTSRV-L  people who want to use this feature,  you have to mention
    "BITNIC" in  the "Peers=" keyword and  add a line of  "INFO@BITNIC" in your
    "PEERS FILE" from LISTSERV 191.