Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Aug 1992 21:07:09 EST
On Fri, 14 Aug 1992 16:24:06 EDT Sanjay Kapur said:
>Another sample of mail that almost got sent to the list

 Just by coincedence, I've received several mail bounces from a site in
 the UK with very similar mail headers.  Since JHUVM's LISTSERV recognized
 the ones I got as mail delivery errors, I thought it might be useful to
 point out the differences.  In both cases, the Subject: lines have a
 lovely "%%" prepended to the useful information, which while *most*
 aesthetically pleasing, isn't trapped by LISTSERV.  Also, we both have
 From: lines with "Mail_System" instead of "postmaster" or one of the
 other recognized userids.  The difference is, luckily in my case, the
 encapsulated mail that was being returned, didn't have the addresses
 flipped ass-backwards in JANET order.  So, my LISTSERV saw the mailing
 list address in the body of the mail message.  In your case, your
 LISTSERV saw, Sender: [log in to unmask], which is total crap as
 far as everyone but JANET is concerned.  Why were the mail headers in
 your rejections left in JANET order, while mine were in Internet order?
 I have no idea, and I'd suggest sending a note to the postmaster of the
 system that rejected the mail and the postmaster of the JANET mail
 gateway system.  I've had good luck in getting help from the folks at
 the Bitnet/JANET gateway in the past, even when in a few cases, it
 proved rather difficult to isolate/resolve the problems.  I personally
 don't think mail should be allowed back into Bitnet/Internet with unusable
 headers.  And if some sites are going to make cute headers with "%%" gizmos
 to 'highlight' Subject: text and use unusual From: address in mail rejection
 notices, the text of the returned mail becomes a rather important piece of
 information.  I'd argue that having the mail addresses in the encapsulated
 message in the proper order for the receiving network becomes necessary.
 And as I said, at least some JANET sites are formatting such headers in
 Internet order.  My question to the postmaster(s) would be why don't they
 all work properly?

>  Sanjay Kapur                        |Internet:    [log in to unmask]
>  Systems Staff, Computing Services,  |Bitnet:      SKAPUR@USB
>  State University of New York,       |SPAN/HEPnet: 44132::SKAPUR
>  Stony Brook, NY 11794-2400          |Phone:(516)632-8029, FAX:(516)632-8046

 -jj