Jean Bedard <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Sep 1992 09:03:11 HAE
>We will have to start thinking about our plans soon. NetNorth is scheduled
>to be no more on Aug. 1/93. That means we will not be getting a BITEARN NODES
>file from CANADA01 any more. The NetNorth Admin Committee is supposed to
>begin discussing the potential problems of this this fall. So far, it hasn't
>started. We need to start to notify our users. We should start by notifying
>people to no-longer use BITNET addressing (userid@nodeid) and start changing
>now!
(etc.)

If NetNorth is out in 10 months, will it also happen to BITNET and EARN?
And if so, what will happen to the ListServ package? Will all this work
be lost? Shouldn't it be changed so that it works in an Internet
environment, although I understand this is a lot of job?

I think features like list confidentiality and other
Listserv-only characteristics should be preserved, although it is true,
as said Eric, that the distribution algorithms will no more be necessary
(or usable). Not to mention lists migration (I can see the burden of
moving all those crowded lists like IBM-MAIN to an Internet equivalent...)

The problem is not that we want to quit NetNorth, it is that... NetNorth
quits us!   :-(

Jean Bedard, C.T.I., Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Resp. VM/CMS, NetNorth, Listserv     Bitnet:   ADMIN AT LAVALVM1
(418) 656-3632                       Internet: [log in to unmask]